Friday, February 25, 2011

And A Bottle of Rum

I might need a vacation. I love my work and I love my family but my thoughts keep drifting on the beat of a steal drum. Warm tropical breezes and of course, rum. The fantasy of Johnny Depp as a pirate doesn't hurt my mind vacation either! 







Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest


Thomas Mario in chapter 11 of Playboy's New Host and Bar Book comments that "One of rum's most memorable qualities is that it never lets you forget where it comes from. So true. I love tikki drinks almost as much for the "mini" vacation implied in the layered flavors of goodness as for the sheer reminder of sunshine.Those of you that know me, know that I am one of the whitest people on earth and have to hide under 90 proof sunblock in the Georgia summer. So the actual tropical vacation for me tends to suck. The mini rum induced vaca is much better.


If in need of a little vacation to the tropics try the High:



HIGH:
Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a blood orange segment
1 ½ oz. Pyrat XO rum
½ oz. falernum
¾ oz Grand Marnier
juice of ½ lemon
3 drops Fei Brother’s whiskey barrel bitters




My Simple Recipe for Falernum:
50 cloves
1 tbsp whole all spice
2 tbsp dry ginger
Crush in mortar and pestal
Infuse 8 oz rum and zest of 8 meyer lemons for 1 day. Strain and put into heavy simple syrup-2c sugar to 1 c. water

But be careful. As Mario points out "Any young man today who has learned to wet his lips with something other than water knows that rum has a peculiarly persuasive effect. Whiskey makes a girl stop arguing. Beer soothes her. Gin disarms her. But rum cajoles."

No comments:

Post a Comment