Saturday, January 15, 2011

All The Trimmings

After being snowed and iced in for a week without much in the way of a decent mixer (thank God for wine), and the beginning of a new year, it is high time to evaluate the home bar and beef it up so that entertaining is possible on the fly; even if it is just for my husband and I. The Playboy's New Host and Bar Book has a laundry list of goodies that the 1971 mixologist should have in his arsenal. To my surprise many on the list are things that I would consider a value to either my bar or kitchen. Some ingredients however are a bit odd and I would only buy them if I were to have a tiki party or something. Before delving into Thomas Mario's list I want to share his advise on purchasing mixers. As a rule small containers of mixers stay fresh longer. For example, if you are the only person in your group who likes tonic water don't but a 2 liter container of tonic water. Only the first drink or two will be palatable and the rest will suck. Coming from a frugal stock I hate wasting even if its not as good as when I first opened it. Therefore, while at my professional bar I make my own tonic water I have suffered through many a drink that had a less than fresh mixer because I didn't buy the mini bottles and instead went in for the bulk "bargain." So here we go...Mario's list and my commentary.

Mixing Aids
  • Almonds-Used in some punches and glogg. I find them more likely to be choked on. I would keep them at the bar in case you need a snack while preparing a cocktail and not so much as a floater.
  • Almond Syrup- otherwise known as Orgeat. This is a delicious syrup and I have made it for use in my professional bar world but have never had it on hand at home. The reason for this is that I rarely crave Tiki drinks and when I do half the fun is going out and getting them. Orgeat is a must however if you are planning to throw a tropical soiree.
  • Apple Juice-I have kids so we have this on hand. I am not a fan of mixing the kid juice with my vodka. It just screams bad mommy to me.
  • Apricots-could be fun with a muddler and some whiskey. Definitely not a must have.
  • Bananas-alcoholic smoothy material. I'll skip it.
  • Bitter lemon-o.k. so this is something I routinely have on hand. I love gin and the Stirrings Bitter Lemon soda is so good with a citrussy gin. This is a kind of old school mixer that I don't see too many brands of but I highly recommend it.
  • Bitter lemon concentrate-never seen it. ever.
  • Bitters-Yes!!! Every bar must have at least one bottle of bitters. Don't believe me? Ask wikipedia...A cocktail is a mixed drink containing two or more ingredients. Originally a mixture of distilled spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. At my home bar I have the following bitters (this doesn't include my experimental home brews): Angustora, Angustora orange, Stirrings Blood Orange, Fee Brothers lemon bitters, Fee Brother's whiskey barrel bitters, and Fee Brother's rhubarb bitters. Once you realize the beauty of the bitters your life will change. My obsession began with the cocktail but the bitters have made their way into sauces, roasted stuff, salad dressings and even the pound cake. They are like a kitchen spice rack preserved in booze!
  • Butter-always in the fridge, rarely in the glass for me. 
  • Cassis-why would anyone keep the non-alcoholic kind?
  • Cherries-I hate maraschino cherries but I love brandied cherries. I make them a couple of times a year but I rarely have them because I gobble them up like the glutton that I am. Great in a manhattan. I have a bottle of moonshine cherries now but you know they are full of white lightning as soon as they hit the tongue.moonshine cherries
  • Cider-great in fall especially for a warm cocktail. For those of you reading I know it's just kicked up apple juice but it feels different to me so I am fine putting booze in it.
  • Cinnamon sticks-Most people have cinnamon in their home. Good enough. If hosting a winter party buy the sticks for an easy and cute garnish. Otherwise why bother?
  • Cloves-see cinnamon.
  • Club soda-This is a must have. Buy small bottles to keep it fresh- all of the brands taste the same to me. Feel free to substitute mineral water.
  • Cocktail mixes- If you are uncomfortable following simple directions and have lost your internet connections then by all means buy the pre-mixed cocktail garbage that has been sitting on the liquor store shelf for five years. If you want a really good drink learn to squeeze a fruit and follow simple directions or find a good bartender.
  • Coffee-Why wouldn't a person have this anyway? My best friend doesn't touch the stuff and I am still suspicious.
  • Cranberry Juice-For all of my booze snobbery I still enjoy a vodka cranberry or a cosmopolitan. Buy small bottles unless you have a urinary tract infection and need gobs of it.
  • Cream-If you are serving after dinner cocktails this is a must.
  • Currant Syrup-unless making something specific with this don't bother.
  • Eggs-In the kitchen. Eggs are generally very safe to consume raw so don't get scared off by egg whites in a drink recipe. They create the froth. 
  • Falernum-Almond and spice syrup. Used a lot in tiki cocktails.
  • Frothy Creamy Head- Really? In the Playboy bar book? This had is asterisked to indicate its necessity.
  • Ginger ale-yep.
  • Ginger Beer-I prefer it to ginger ale because I love the Moscow mule ( vodka, ginger beer and lime) as well as the dark and stormy ( dark rum, ginger beer and lime). Simple cocktails that will impress your friends.
  • Grape juice-see apple juice.
  • Grapefruit juice-I like ruby red. I often use Indian River.
  • Grenadine-Pomegranate syrup. Can be quite good. If you have been turned off in the past try Stirrings grenadine or boil down some pomegranate juice with a little sugar and marvel at the difference.
  • Guanabana nectar- ???
  • Guava jelly-I have never used it for anything but a pairing with cheese. Mario likes it in Caribbean rum drinks. I am inspired.
  • Honey- use some hot water to thin it for cocktails. Use it in "the bees knees" cocktail with gin lemon and honey. Yum!
  • Lemons-yep.
  • Lemon juice-You get it from the lemon. Don't buy the bottled crap!
  • Limes-uh yes.
  • Lime Juice-Get it from the fruit. No fake lime from the grocery store filled with putrid yuck.
  • Lime Juice sweetened-I don't keep this at home because I prefer a fresh gimlet with fresh lime and sugar. If you like the best known is still Rose's brand.
  • Mangoes or Mango Nectar-If you want crazy rum or frozen stuff.
  • Maple syrup-In my pantry. Don't be afraid to experiment with different sweeteners.
  • Milk-If you are making milk punches etc.
  • Mint-In the summer I grow it and love it. In these bleak winter months i only dream of the julep and mojito.
  • Nutmeg-See cinnamon.
  • Olives-Buy the biggest and best that you want. Great for the Martini and Bloody Mary.
  • Onions-For the gibson. As an ex-bartender I hate the way they smell but they are pretty tasty. If you like them or have an old fart who drinks gibsons keep a bit on hand. They never go bad.
  • Oranges-great for winter cocktails. Just buy fresh.
  • Papaya syrup or nectar-If you are doing a Polynesian or tropical thing. I am feeling 1971 with this list.
  • Passion Fruit Nectar-see above.
  • Peaches-As a 16 year resident of the Peach State I implore you to only use in season.
  • Pineapple-Buy fresh. If any of you is in love with the Capitol Grille Stoly Doli here is the secret: Dole Pineapple cut up, covered with Stoly vodka- wait 7 days, squish pineapple (but not too vigorously or it will be bitter), strain, shake over ice and enjoy. This cocktail requires the do not operate heavy machinery or drive label because it tastes like fresh pineapple but packs a vodka wallop!
  • Pineapple Juice-Buy little cans because you will likely have them for the rest of eternity unless aunt Helen loves Malibu and pineapple.
  • Quinine Concentrate-I call this tonic syrup in my bar and I will share my recipe later. It is way better than the commercial stuff. This is used in place of tonic water and is diluted by soda water or mineral water.
  • Quinine water- a.k.a. tonic water.
  • Raspberries- I usually have some in the freezer and can be yummy in cocktails. Obviously better fresh and in season.
  • Raspberry syrup-If you need it make it, if not I wouldn't have it on hand.
  • Salt-I generally have Kosher and Sea Salt in my kitchen. both great for rimming glasses or seasoning a Bloody.
  • Seltzer Water-Cool if you fancy the soda siphon machine. For the rest of us mineral water like Pellegrino or soda water works fine.
  • 7-up-I haven't had this since the third grade. I live in Sprite country. Any lemon-lime soda is good to have in your home bar. Good for a grown up mixer or for pip-squeaks.
  • Soft drinks-Basics: Cola, Lemon lime, Ginger ale. Fun alternatives are everywhere. Sparkling lemonades, sassafras, you name it and it is in your local specialty food mart. Remember: it all tastes better with booze.
  • Strawberry syrup- Maybe I have a skewed perspective because I have never tried to lure a Playboy bunny but... I don't normally have this behind my bar.
  • Sugar-If you have a minimally appointed kitchen you will have some sort of sugar. Super fine is preferable but I encourage you to experiment with sweeteners. 
  • Sugar Syrup- Also known in the bar world as simple syrup. It is that easy: sugar + hot water = syrup. Much easier to mix than regular granulated sugar in a cocktail. This is often the difference between your borderline cocktail and that of the yummy one your local bartender makes. That and fresh ingredients.
  • Tea-It may sound weird but tea is the old mixer that is fresh and new again. Hot or cold teas of all different flavors can be an exciting mixer.
  • Tomato Juice-If I get super ambitious I may make my own Bloody Mary mix but most often if I am reaching for a Bloody Mary I am hung over as hell and ambition is not even in my vocabulary! So the only reason I would have straight tomato juice on hand is if I were planning on being hung over in the future. Your choice on how ambitious you want to get.
  • Vegetable Juice- V8. Enough said.
  • Water- To quote Absolutely Fabulous "It's a mixer Pats." Tap, bottled, sparkling or not all depends on your crowd. I like tap for still and Pellegrino for the bubbles. You decide.
  • Worcestershire sauce- In my kitchen always. Great for Bloody Mary. I think Mario was always looking toward the future.
Mix it up and slog through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment